RESOURCE CENTER FOR HIGH SCHOOL ACADEMY STUDENT ATHLETES
The SPIRE Institute is located directly off I-90 in beautiful Geneva, Ohio, just 45 minutes from downtown Cleveland and minutes away from the Geneva on the Lake resort area, pristine wineries, championship golf and fishing.
SPIRE High School boarding students will live at Andrews Osborne Academy (AOA). AOA’s seven dormitories are large homes housing between eight to twenty-four boarders. Staff members living in the dorms are responsible for the security, health and well being of boarders. In overseeing the daily life in the dorms, they keep boarders on schedule for school, training and account for their whereabouts while at AOA, and coordinate the boarders’ needs with school staff, SPIRE training staff and parents. While the majority of dorm rooms house two students, there are a few that hold three or four. Bathrooms are shared.
All students attending SPIRE Academy programs will enjoy gourmet meals at SPIRE Fuel. Located within SPIRE Institute, SPIRE Fuel is an innovative dining experience that gives everyone access to the same nutritious, fresh meal options that professional athletes and Olympians enjoy. SPIRE Fuel specializes in prepared-to-order cuisine with zero added trans-fat, no artificial flavors or coloring and an emphasis on local produce, fresh ingredients and whole grains.
At Andrews Osborne Academy
Metz Culinary Management is the Dining Service provider. Their goal is to serve the freshest and safest foods and offer the students the best food choices while helping to develop good eating habits. Metz Culinary Management follows the National School Lunch Program that mandates for school meals to "safeguard the health and well-being of the nation's children". Regulations are followed where lunches provide, on a one-week average, one third of the Recommended Dietary Allowances for protein, vitamins A & C, iron, calcium, and calories. Also followed is that no more than 30% of total calories come from fat and less than 10% from saturated fat. A variety of fresh fruits and vegetables are offered each day. Canned fruit is packed in light syrup. The students are encouraged to take one serving of fruit and vegetables daily. When possible salad bars are available with a large variety of fresh items. Additionally:
- A variety of wheat breads and rolls are offered daily. We are serving whole-wheat pizza crust for all of our pizzas, and whole-wheat pasta.
- The majority of chicken items are whole products. The chicken nuggets are breaded in a whole wheat breading and baked. We serve local, hormone and antibiotic free fresh chicken.
- Salad dressings are low fat and/or reduced calorie.
- Our food items are "trans-fat free" as defined by the state.
- No whole milk is offered. 2%, 1%, and Skim are available. Our milk is 100% hormone free and a local product.
- When available, snack items are baked and limited in fat, calories, and sodium content.
Metz Culinary Management is a partner with Ohio Proud. This is a program from the Ohio Department of Agriculture that promotes Ohio grown, processed, and manufactured goods. Whenever possible we support this program. Food safety and employee safety are most important. The General Managers have attended ServSafe, a national program that teaches food safety from the point when the food enters the loading dock to when it is served. We also have Registered Dietitians as Nutrition Educators that are available for educational sessions with the students. Our mascot, Chef Metz, investigates a different healthy concept each month and guides the students with the best food choices.
Everything at SPIRE Institute has been designed to help our athletes reach their full potential. Fuel understands that the nutritional requirements of athletes are special. As a result, registered dietitians will put their imprint on all menu selections. Fuel's innovative culinary approach is a perfect match to SPIRE’s progressive take on training, performance, education and competition.
Beyond preparing meals, SPIRE Fuel’s chefs and dietitians work with Michael Johnson Performance to develop individualizes meal plans for our athletes. Through their class work, SPIRE athletes will learn how to prepare and select nutritious meals and snacks – empowering them to make educated decisions. The result if a cohesive training program which gives each athlete the tools they need to take their performance to the next level.
SPIRE doesn’t just educate athletes on nutrition! Everyone who eats a meal at SPIRE Fuel will take their first step in developing healthier eating habits. Large touch screens located throughout SPIRE Fuel help customers make educated decisions by listing the exact nutritional information of their selected food – before purchasing. SPIRE Fuel will also offer healthy cooking lessons and demonstrations to educate everyone on preparing nutritious, delicious food.
SPIRE’s student services team has one mission – to make sure every student athlete who walks through the door has a positive experience that helps them reach their full potential in sports, education and life. Student Services representatives are available to help you adjust to life on Campus and answer any questions about your personal, athletic or academic schedule. The SPIRE Student Services team can be reached at 440.466.1002.
Beyond athletics, SPIRE strives to cultivate a respect for a wide range of cultural opportunities. SPIRE students have the opportunity to take in regional attractions and events. From fine arts to professional sporting events, SPIRE is located within driving distance of major metropolitan areas including Cleveland, Columbus, Chicago, Detroit, Washington D.C., Baltimore, Toronto, Pittsburgh and New York City. We routinely offer our students day excursions and weekend trips to:
- Professional basketball, football, soccer and baseball
- Performing arts events – concerts, plays, musicals, opera, symphony and dance
- Museums and culture centers
- Religious services
- Movies and shopping
While on campus, SPIRE students have access to all our facilities including world-class sports medicine and rehab centers, Michael Johnson Performance, SPIRE Fit, the Aquatics Center, indoor and outdoor fields & courts, game rooms and the student lounge.
SPIRE students are encouraged to participate in extracurricular activities to develop leadership, teamwork and problem-solving skills, including:
- Student Council: SPIRE students will form their own leadership council that will represent students and help organize activities, community service projects and trips. Student council members will work with teachers and student services to help develop a sense of community on campus.
- Student Committees: Established by the student council, students can volunteer to serve on various committees such as Student Life, Fundraising, Social and Communications that will work to develop student programs and activities in their respective areas.
- Community Service: Service to the community is a big part of SPIRE’s mission. Students will take an active role in their surrounding community through the development of partnerships that help benefit SPIRE and the region.
On Campus Services (for students attending a SPIRE Academy Program)
Laundry and Linens
- Pillow and mattress pads are provided. Each student should bring x-long, twin-size flat and fitted sheets, a pillowcase and towels. All items brought to SPIRE Institute should be marked with an indelible pen. Blankets are available upon request.
- Please send mail to students at the following address:
c/o SPIRE Institute
1822 S. Broadway
Geneva, OH 44041
- Students may drop of mail with their resident advisor. It is suggested that they bring their own stamps and writing material.
- Students are also permitted to bring cell phones.
- Long distance and international calls can be placed directly from the room, provided the student uses a phone card, credit card or calls collect.
- The switchboard closes at 8:00pm. In the event of an emergency, call SPIRE Institute at 440.466.1002. The on-site Property Manager and staff will assist your son/daughter in contacting you immediately.
- Students can receive faxes at 440.415.1087.
- Health Services is comprised of Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical nurses. They are available on campus or by phone seven days a week. They provide first aid, dispensation of medications and observation beds. Their goal is to assure that each student athlete has a safe and healthy experience.
- Health Services have medications available for pain, fever, cough, allergy symptoms, nausea, diarrhea, headache and insect bites.
- SPIRE Health Services must be advised of any prescription medications being taken by Post Graduate students. Note: Only Post Graduates are permitted to keep prescription medications in their suites with prior approval.
- If you are taking medications by injections these must be approved by Health Services BEFORE your arrival at SPIRE Institute. There are many medications such as allergy shots that are not given at SPIRE.
- If you have a chronic medical condition which requires special attention such as diabetes or severe allergies, please contact SPIRE’s Health Services Department at 440.466.1002to learn what special requirements might be applicable to attend or to board at SPIRE.
- If you have any questions, please call Health Services at 440.466.1002.
- Transportation is arranged for appointments with doctors, dentists and or orthodontists, optometrists and/or ophthalmologists, medical specialists, etc. Appointments for health care needs are arranged by the nurse. Emergency medical service is provided by the local emergency rooms and/or Urgent Care providers.
- All students who drive themselves here must receive a parking pass from the operations center (front gate) when they arrive at the Academy. The student will be directed to the appropriate parking area. Failure to park in an appropriate area will result in towing of the vehicle.
- Boarding students are not permitted use of their vehicle while enrolled in any of our boarding programs. The student’s keys are to be turned in and placed in the manager’s safe. The student can pick them up when he/she checks out of the Academy.
Safety & Security
- The safety & security of our students and guests is our primary concern.
- Students live in secure environments with staff present 24-hours a day.
SPIRE and Andrews Osborne Academy recognizes three school holiday breaks.
The break periods are:
- Thanksgiving in November
- Winter Break (last two weeks in December)
- Spring Break (two weeks, usually the end of March/beginning of April)
- SPIRE Institute’s entire campus offers free Wi-Fi to all our guests. Just connect to GaREAT-Wifi to gain access to the Internet.
- In partnership with the Civic Development Corporation of Ashtabula County, information kiosks are located throughout SPIRE Institute. These touch-screen kiosks allow anyone to easily search for local events, restaurants, wineries, sporting events, lodging and attractions throughout Ashtabula County. Users can select information and have it emailed directly to them.
SPIRE Institute is located directly off I-90 in beautiful Geneva, Ohio. Just 45 miles from downtown Cleveland and minutes away from the Geneva on the Lake resort area, pristine wineries and championship golf and fishing. Every consideration has been taken at SPIRE to create an unparalleled experience for the athlete, coach and the spectator. While you are at SPIRE, take advantage of the wide-ranging services and activities we offer to enhance your stay, including:
Whether you are looking for a snack or gourmet meal, SPIRE Institute’s food serve has something to satisfy you. As outside food isn’t permitted onto SPIRE’s campus, please take advantage of our diverse food service offerings:
- SPIRE Fuel: Located within SPIRE Institute, SPIRE Fuel is an innovative dining experience that gives everyone access to the same nutritious, fresh meal options that professional athletes and Olympians enjoy. SPIRE Fuel specializes in prepared-to-order cuisine with zero added trans-fat, no artificial flavors or coloring and an emphasis on local produce, fresh ingredients and whole grains. SPIRE Fuel is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- SPIRE Banquet & Conference Center (BCC): A 25,000 sq. ft. glass-encased banquet, hospitality and meeting space overlooking the SPIRE Indoor Track, SPIRE BCC can host events or meetings for 30 to 1,400 guests. Customized menu and packages from buffet-style meals and picnics to gourmet, black tie seven-course dinners are designed with our world-class chefs to meet your specific needs. For information or to schedule a party, please contact Jaime Cordova at (440) 466-1002 firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPIRE’s facilities aren’t just reserved for competitive athletes. Everyone who visits SPIRE has the opportunity to utilize our Olympic-grade facilities.
- SPIRE Fit: Our state-of-the-art health and fitness center, SPIRE Fit offers daily exercise and swim programs that will redefine your neighborhood gym. Visitors can purchase a monthly membership, multi-day or one-day pass to gain access to SPIRE’s 25,000 sq. ft. gym consisting of the most technologically advanced workout equipment and professional trainers to help you reach your goals.
- Those who purchase a pass to SPIRE Fit will also be able to utilize SPIRE’s world-class Aquatics Center to swim laps, conduct water aerobics and exercises or just splash around after a long day.
SPIRE Institute has acres of lighted parking to accommodate any event.
On Campus Information
SPIRE Institute is a massive complex with a lot of amazing things to see and do. While you are here, please see any SPIRE employee with questions or concerns.
The hotels in the link below are all within a short distance from SPIRE Institute. When making a reservation, please mention you are attending an event at SPIRE Institute to ensure a low rate. For questions about lodgings for large teams and groups, please contact Terri Parrish at (440) 466-1002 x 120 or email@example.com