SPIRE Mac Wilkins Throws Academy (Residential)
Welcome, we're glad you're here.
What do we mean by Residential Throws Academy? It's going to school and training with Mac Wilkins and his coaches year round, with full throws indoors or out. It's developing an athletic throwing strength base that will grow throughout your career with Wilkins' and Michael Johnson Performance training. If you are in high school, it's a high school education from Andrews Osborne Academy. If you have graduated from high school, it's an opportunity to improve your GPA, college entrance exam scores, and take a few college courses while working toward a college scholarship. If all you want to do is train, you can do that too.
What we promise ongoingly is simply this: You will transform.
- Mac Wilkins and his team will design a technical and tactical training regimen that will improve your individual proficiency and enhance your performance.
- Eric Whelan joins Mac as Throws Coach. Eric was NAIA National Champion in 2012 in the shot put at 60' 7" with a body weight of 225lbs. Eric was also three-time All-American in the javelin with a best of 211'.
- An individually tailored Michael Johnson Performance training program will make you a stronger, more athletic thrower.
- SPIRE Mental Skills training will prepare you to focus and meet the pressures that lay ahead, on and off the field.
- SPIRE Fuel features customized menus/meal plans for the serious athlete that will best enable you to develop, perform and recover.
- Competition will be scheduled in appropriate proportion to your training commitments.
- We will help guide your exposure to the collegiate coaching network.
- All of these efforts will enhance your chances to secure a better scholarship offer.
- Our residential Throws Academy combines the blended learning environment of the college preparatory Andrews Osborne Academy with an intensive regimen of technical, tactical, physical and mental training. Male and female throwers in grades 9-12 are invited to join the Throws Academy for the winter semester and 2013-2014 school year.
- Closely collaborating on this mission will be the teachers, counselors and learning coaches within Andrews Osborne Academy, a 9-12 grade college-preparatory program for the dedicated student athlete. Learn more about academics with Andrews Osborne Academy.
- SPIRE Mac Wilkins Throws Academy features everything an athlete needs to develop and improve - superb technical instruction and technique development by Mac Wilkins and his staff; strength and endurance training within a customized program co-designed by Michael Johnson Performance and Wilkins; mental skills training with Jack J. Lesyk, Ph.D., CC-AASP; SPIRE Fuel; proper nutritional counseling and leadership/communications skills development. All of these elements will be coordinated around long term athletic development periodization model complete with the appropriate amount of regional, national, and potentially international competition.
- That throws has never seen a residential academy program like this is what inspires us to be the first, to be the best and to set the standard by which all others will strive to be measured.
- Annual $49,900 (boarding) or $34,900 (non-boarding)
- Semester $27,900 (boarding) or $19,900 (non-boarding)
- The SPIRE Mac Wilkins Throws Academy post grad program is for the student athlete looking for an extra year to become physically, mentally or academically prepared for college. Elite collegiate, post collegiate and professional players looking for the ideal residential training environment are also welcome.
Why Post Grad Throws?
- There is a growing need/demand for a specialized throws post grad program. Many high school graduates are not physically, technically and/or competitively prepared to excel at the collegiate level. Some need a year where they can live away from home and really get ready for college life.
- There may be academic reasons why taking an extra year between high school and college is the best option.
- At SPIRE, you will also be able to earn college credit by taking two core classes per semester. Or you can work to enhance/repair your high school GPA. SAT/ACT test prep courses will be available, as will ESL programs and TOEFL prep courses for international students. Working one-on-one with SPIRE/AOA's director of college placement and NCAA compliance will also prove to be invaluable to every student.
- For more academic information go to Post Grad Academics.
- $37,500 boarding (includes room, meals and training; academic costs are not included); or
- $29,000 non-boarding (includes training program and lunch; academic costs are not included)
- Rolling admission
Outdoor throwing facilities:
- Throws Stadium with multiple separate shot put circles and separate discus and hammer cages, all meeting IAAF standards, as well as an international level javelin runway
Indoor throwing facilities:
- Multiple throwing areas that can facilitate up to 4 separate shot put circles and one weight throw simultaneously.
- Portable weight throw cages for discus, shot and weight throws
- Michael Johnson Performance training
- Mental skills training, leadership and communication, nutrition/hydration training
- Top tournament travel (including international play), year round league competition
- Integrated academic curriculum
- An Olympic Village type of setting with U.S. and international athletes in multiple sports
- SPIRE Fuel (nutrition court)
Program Support Services:
- Sports Medicine Network (Orthopedic, Podiatry, Sport Psychology)
- Performance Therapy (Sports Physical Therapy, Rehabilitation, Massage Therapy)
- Sports Nutrition (Expert dietary analysis, body composition evaluation, supplement education, sport fueling and planning strategy).