Been with SPIRE since 2017
Hometown: Solon, OH
Languages Spoken: English
Title: Mental Skills Trainer and Camp Admissions
Bios: Len Spacek earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Dayton in exercise science. He earned his first master’s degree from John Carroll University in education, and completed his MFA in creative writing from the Northeast Ohio MFA program. Most recently Len completed his school counseling degree at John Carroll University , and during that time, he focused on Mental Skills Training for athletes. He is currently working on his clinical license in counseling.
Len has been in education for twenty-five year as a teacher and as a coach. His passion for educating athletes about the mental side of athletics motivates him on a daily basis. During the last three years at SPIRE, Len has created a semester-long curriculum that focuses on bringing the best out in athletes from a mental perspective. Topics include goal setting, positive self talk, visualization, self-regulation, motivation, and handling adversity. Perhaps Len’s biggest goals is to help athletes understand that sports help them deal with the adversity they face, not just in sports, but in life as well. Len has coached numerous sports, giving him an insider’s perspective on the nuances of each game. He has played competitively at the high school level in football, basketball, baseball and track, and he competes at the collegiate level in football.
Education and Accreditations:
- Masters of Education in School Counseling licensed K-12 from John Carroll University
- MFA in creative writing from Northeast Ohio MFA Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Exercise Science from Dayton University
Experience (Coaching and Playing):
- Played college football at the University of Dayton
- Played High school football, basketball, track, and baseball
- Coached at the high school and middle school level: football, basketball, track, and tennis