Been with SPIRE since February 2020
Hometown: Cleveland, OH
Languages Spoken: English
Title: Director of Track and Field Training and Development
Bio: Tim Mack is a Cleveland native. Born and raised in Westlake Ohio. The youngest of 5 children. Tim started his vaulting career at the age of 13 and didn’t retire until he was 37 years old. Tim was not recruited out of high school and didn’t even have his high school record. But he would persist to pursue the event through college and post-collegiately. Throughout Tim’s professional career, he had to design much of his own workouts while training mostly on his own, a rarity in Olympic sports.
By doing this, Tim would become almost an expert in sprint training, weight training, Mental training, gymnastic training learning from any coach willing to help. After failing 2 times at making the Olympics, Tim finally made the Olympic Team at the age of 31 years old and won Olympic Gold with an Olympic Record 19’6 1/2″. He would then become one of only 20 vaulters in history to join the “6-meter club, by clearing 6.01 meters 2 weeks later.
Tim’s coaching philosophy is to coach a well-rounded athlete. Tim has experienced about as much as any athlete in his 35 year career shares his experiences while developing the athlete to their highest potential while helping them through every difficulty along the way. Tim is very excited to be back in Northeast Ohio at Spire Academy and Institute in helping athletes flourish not only in sport, but in life.
Education and Accreditations:
- Bachelor of Science in Sports Management from University of Tennessee
- Masters of Science in Sports Management from University of Tennessee
Experience (Coaching and Playing)
- 1995 SEC Indoor Track and Field Champion
- 1995 NCAA Indoor Track and Field National Champion
- 2001 2nd Place winner at the USA Indoor National Track and Field Championships
- 2001 Goodwill Games Champion
- 2001 9th Place winner at the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships Qualifier
- 2002 USA Indoor Track and Field Championships Champion
- 2002 2nd Place winner at the USA Outdoor National Track and Field Championships
- 2003 2nd Place winner at the USA Outdoor National Track and Field Championships
- 2003 tied for 6th Place at the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships
- 2004 USA Outdoor Olympic Track and Field Trials Champion and Record Holder
- 2004 Olympic Games Gold Medalist and Record Holder
- 2004 Grand Prix Final Champion and Record Holder 2010 USA Indoor Track and Field Champion
- 2010 World Indoor Track and Field Championships Competitor